Oh Dear God...The Future Is Bleak

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Oh Dear God...The Future Is Bleak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:53 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=173593

EA has bought Bioware. I feel slightly ill. If this means that Bioware will now be getting standard EA fare then we may well see the best RPG maker out there turn into a company releasing rushed, half baked games just because their 'publisher' wants money quicker.

This is a bleak day for the RPG genre. I'll just go and cry now :(
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:16 pm

Inquisitor
Yet EA has published some of the best games I have ever played. So it could cut both ways.
No signature

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:38 pm

Messiah
Inq, did you just disagree with the arbiter? Is that legal?

I agree, EA has made some very fun games. It may not turn out so bad.
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:17 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Messiah wrote:Inq, did you just disagree with the arbiter? Is that legal?
No. In fact my team of evil gun toting lawyers are already on route with a wonderful legal case prepared ;)

On topic, I am not so sure. As I said in IRC earlier, EA kills studios. Bullfrog, Westwood, etc - it puts a big executioners axe over the quality Bioware games. The axe may not have dropped yet, but it is hanging there.

Unfortunately, considering EA's track record, I would not be surprised to see rushed RPGs coming out now followed by the dissolution of Bioware in a few years. Shame, Bioware has been one of the greats.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:48 pm

Futile Resistance
I don't deny that EA publishes fun games. They just don't always polish them to the extent the game deserves.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:00 pm

Scorpius
Not sure how I feel about this. Ok I'm going to be playing ME 1 but if this one don't sell well its a sure bet EA won't allow the next two in the trilogy to be released. Hell even if it does well theres still gonna be a question mark. For now I'll sit back and chortle over all the irate fanboys on the Bio forums. I do enjoy it there... :cool:
Power Corrupts, Ultimate Power is Fun.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:33 pm

esd
I'm more worried that they also got Pandemic.
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:04 am

Scorpius
Bioware and Pandemic where for all purposes the same company towards the end.
Power Corrupts, Ultimate Power is Fun.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:46 pm

Syn
After having a much longer discussion about this on the Penny Arcade forums... EA is changing, Mythic as an example of this. I'll keep an eye on this, and be really sad if they do kill off Bioware/Pandemic. On the other hand, this is also EA's chance to really shine though, so why rob them of it?
bah my forums is dead, so it is removed from my sig...

Btw, I'm making a game, it will be awesome, you will look forward to it.[/hype]

Return to “General Discussions”