Winter 2012/13 [Dec > Feb]

Discuss your favourite Anime series here. No linking to or discussing, means of downloading episodes/series allowed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Anime Moderators

Winter 2012/13 [Dec > Feb]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:58 pm

M.Steiner
Might not be any point in me posting this thread tbh but what the hell.
There's only 3-4 eps left for some of the Autumn shows now (2-cour ones aside) and the Winter season begins in just a few weeks too. Have any of you looked at the chart for Winter yet? and managed to pick any shows out you plan on watching? - Here's the chart either way.
Besides a couple of movies which we won't get to see for months anyway, I think this is the first season in a long time where I've been completely stumped as to what I'll be watching. There's just nothing which stands out to me, infact the entire season looks like crap if I'm honest.
Think I'll wait and see what some of you will be picking up (if anything) and then consider those for a change. Afterall, I wouldn't have picked Space Brothers up if it wasn't for BD so maybe some of you will pick some out which I would normally have brushed off or ignored :)
So, what'll it be? See any potential here?
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Winter 2012/13 [Dec > Feb]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:57 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I'll probably pickup "Love Live! School Idol Project!" ;)

Seriously though, yeah, there's nothing here that catches my eye. Reminds me very much of the barren seasons of a year or two ago.

I hadn't looked yet, which probably won't surprise you since I haven't been watching anime lately, and I suppose that's a blessing and a curse in this case. Nothing decent that's new gives me an opportunity to catch up on those I've missed over the last few months. Hopefully the final Hellsing Ultimate will be out soon too so that I can watch that :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:03 am

M.Steiner
Well there's still Psycho-Pass and Space Brothers which are both worth picking up even if you don't watch something from this Winter season mate. Both are still airing and more than make up for it. I'll just have to dig through my back catalogue and find an older show on my list to watch instead if there's nothing here to be following weekly. Plenty I still need & want to see so that won't be hard heh.
Also I know you said you didn't want to start the latter until you'd watched Planetes but it doesn't really matter, I haven't seen that either just yet. (Not like you've seen the original Hellsing either?). Plus apart from it being a similar type of show it's not like it has any connection to Space Brothers itself or anything so wouldn't do any harm to start that.
And speaking of Hellsing, Ultimate will be complete by the end of this month. I've been planning to watch that for over a year now so I'll be starting my marathon of it very soon so I can watch 10 straight away :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:11 pm

Syn'n
Personally, I never knew these charts existed.. shows what I know. I see maybe 2 that interest me.. Amnesia and Maoyuu Maou Yuusha. Course there is no telling if they will hold my interest. I'm still digging through the past listings for stuff I have missed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:38 pm

M.Steiner
After giving it some though I may watch Tamako Market with it being a KyoAni show and possibly Amnesia too since it's Brains Base, also depending on how many weeks each of them will run for. Not fully decided yet though so I could end up watching nothing from Winter.
Either way I'm going to be using this season to watch more of the older anime shows/movies I've had planned for a while I think. Already started 1 of them (LotGH).

Do you have a MAL account, Syn'n? A few of us have watched lists over there if you're looking for some recommendations? or want to share any too :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Syn'n
Nope, I don't. I generally just pick whatever sounds interesting to me on the site I normally use. I have no general idea about production companies and what not. As I said, I just pick whatever sounds interesting to me. Currently on a marathon of Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate, mainly due to finding Robotics;Notes extremely interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:04 pm

M.Steiner
Syn'n wrote:Currently on a marathon of Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate, mainly due to finding Robotics;Notes extremely interesting.
Robotics;Notes has been a bit of a slow burner for me up until just recently but it has started growing on me now, especially after the last couple of episodes. That being said I still prefer Psycho-Pass, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Bakuman 3 & K over it. However that could still change as we're only halfway through, has started to get interesting now :)

Chaos;Head is fun (have a look into the Higurashi series too if you haven't seen those, much better) but out of the three shows Steins;Gate has been by far the best for me. Going on what we've seen of Robotics so far at least. They're 3 very different shows though even though they're part of the same series as it were.
I generally just pick whatever sounds interesting to me on the site I normally use. I have no general idea about production companies and what not.
Actually, what you're doing with checking Chaos;Head & Steins;Gate out after following Robotics;Notes is a little similar to what I tend to do tbh so chances are you'll start to become more familar with the latter like I have.
If I really, really enjoy something I make a mental note of who directed it and which studio it was produced by. Then I start checking past works of theirs out (along with other shows which may be listed as being very similar). Over time you start to get to know the different studios, what kind of shows they generally do, familar directors etc.

Brain's Base are one studio I usually look out for because Baccano!, Durarara!!, Natsume Yuujinchou, Hotarubi no Mori e & Kuragehime all came from there and all 5 were directed by the same dude (Takahiro Omori). I started with Baccano, loved it and so looked to see what else he'd done and found Durarara which was supposed to be very similar too. Then later checked Natsume out etc etc. It wasn't long before both him and the studio were high on my radar to look out for in the future hehe. I can't wait to see what the guy does next, everything he touches turns to gold as far as I'm concerned lol :D

Likewise with the works of Kenji Kamiyama / Production I.G, Makoto Shinkai, Satoshi Kon etc. It's something I've always done with movie directors over the years so once I'd gone through a shitload of recommendations from Anny, BD, Ava & co I just adopted the same to my anime.

Anyway enough of my rambling. Hope you enjoy those two shows, Syn'n!. Steins;Gate is still one of my favourite shows that I've watched during the "seasons" so I hope you enjoy that one in particular ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:32 am

Syn'n
Just finished Steins;Gate. Must say I did enjoy it. Makes me look forward to the movie that is due sometime in 2013. Psycho-Pass and K are indeed interesting, but for some reason I keep getting the feeling I know what will happen with Psycho-Pass. I also understand what you said about Robotics;Notes, it did start slow and there are a few things I'm still a bit unsure about but I figure it'll hash out soon enough. Anyway.. 37 episodes straight.. think i need some sleep..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:34 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Does rewatching Geass count as part of 'Winter 2013'? ;)

My lovely shiny new DVDs for R1 just arrived today. R2 to follow in about a month.

/me salivates
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:46 pm

M.Steiner
lol. Enjoy :p
I'll be planning a rewatch of Death Note & Geass at some point in the near future I think. Want to see a couple of other things first though and finish LotGH before I start rewatching stuff.

Not gonna bother watching anything from this season as I thought.
Spring does looks promising though!. I won't go posting a thread yet ( :p ) but 3 to watch out for:

Suisei no Galgantia - (Gen Urobuchi. Same guy who has been working on Psycho-Pass and was behind Fate/Zero and Madoka)
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 - (Same director as Persona 4 too)
Shingeki no Kyojin - (Death Note & Guilty Crown dude)

There's also a new rom-com from Brains Base (Yahari) and a new Higurashi series, which will hopefully be worth watching. Unlike the trash that was Kira :)

Return to “Anime”