The STR Screenshot Thread

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

The STR Screenshot Thread

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:45 pm

M.Steiner
Thought we'd try something a bit different which all of us here can join in with. Older games, new games, upcoming games which you're beta testing. Whatever you fancy!

I often go around in games exploring and looking for screenshot opportunities, a lot of which I've posted here over the years. The avid gaming photographer in me always comes out when I'm playing a pretty game, and especially if the game has a photo mode available heh. My screenshots have often been spread across different threads or sections of the forum though so I thought it'd be nice to have a dedicated thread especially for them. I imagine I'll be the main poster in here given the amount of screenshots I tend to take but it'd be great if more of you join in too, even just to comment on stuff if you don't have any screenshots to share yourself!
RULES - PLEASE READ

• [*]No major spoilers for any brand new releases. We don't want people avoiding the thread due to fear of having a new game spoiled for them. That's not cool.
    [*]Name the game your screenshots are taken from along with its platform. It may not be obvious for some titles and they may encourage some of us to want to check them out!
    [*]No limit to the amount of consecutive posts you can make, or the amount of screenshots per post, at least for now. If there's something you wanna share, share it. Any forum activity is good activity.
    [*]Post 2 screenshots on each line so as to help reduce thread scrolling (see some of my posts below as an example).
    [*]Try to consider image qualiity. For example: Taking a JPG image and uploading it to somewhere like Twitter or Facebook is probably not a good idea. For starters unless your JPG has been converted from PNG and saved at max quality it is likely already compressed but sites like Twitter & Facebook add their own compression on top of this, ruining the quality of your image further. GeForce Experience & FRAPS both have the option to save as PNG, as do Steam and PS4.
    For PS4, hit the share button, then options and you'll find PNG under "Image format" of screenshot settings, you will then need to transfer your images to a USB stick & upload them. For Steam - go to "View > Settings > In-Game and tick "Save an uncompressed copy". This will save a PNG in your screenshot folder as well as a compressed jpg (the latter of which are the ones which can be uploaded to your Steam gallery so you will need to upload the uncompressed screenshots elsewhere). - You may then want to convert that PNG to a full-quality non-compressed jpg to reduce their filesize a bit. Up to you.
    [*]Host suggestions:
    - Abload.de - German site (so use a translator add-on if needed), 10mb file size limit but unlimited storage & no compression.
    - Flickr - No compression, Images can be up to 200mb but free accounts will have a limit of 1,000 photos from Feb 2019.
    - Imgur - Unlimited storage but anything over 5mb will be compressed (this limit is even less for anonymous uploads (1mb) so it would be wise to create an account).

Looking forward to seeing what games you guys are playing and decide to share screenshots of and I hope you enjoy what I end up sharing in here too. Discussion is welcome and encouraged! :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: The STR Screenshot Thread

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:52 pm

M.Steiner
Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (PS4 Demo)
Image Image
Image Image

ND released a demo of Uncharted 2 from the Nathan Drake Collection yesterday so I thought I'd give it a look and take a few screenies with today's arrival of PNG support. If you weren't aware, these are fully remastered versions of Uncharted 1-3 (not just ports) for the PS4. Gotta say, they've done a great job with them judging from this demo.
I've got a video of it for YouTube as well though it doesn't do it as much justice since the PS4 records videos at 720/30 rather than 1080/60. Expect some more screenies from the full game which is out next week :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:03 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I'd love to include some pics of what I'm currently playing, but one of The Witcher 3's few flaws is lack of screenshot support...

So instead! ;)

Football Manager 2014
Image Image
Image Image
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:27 am

M.Steiner
Sent you a PM, bud :)

Just thinking... now that PS4 has PNG support I'll have to go back and replay some games on there at some point. I took some screenshots in Bloodborne when it was released as the art direction in that game really was superb and worth showing off. The jpgs though... sooo compressed that it kinda puts you off sharing them as often. What you saw on the screen was not what came out lol. I plan to do a replay later in the year though (when the expansion is released) so I'll have to take some PNGs. In the meantime, maybe I'll do a replay of Journey one evening ^^

Also :lol: @ the April Fool pic lol.

[Edit] I've just added a few instructions above as well as the compression example :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:30 am

Isileth
Haha haven't seen that April Fools pic before.

Also why Gotze over Mahrez? Couldnt afford him?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:36 pm

NF
Arbiter
Admittedly Tabletop Simulator is not the most graphically challenging game but it does the job :)

In order we have Game of Thrones, DungeonQuest, a selection of RPG models, Marvel Legendary, and an early prototype of a game I've been working on..

ImageImage
ImageImage
NF

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:40 am

Whizbang
Legendary Marvel is a fantastic game. Own it and a few expansions as well as Legendary Aliens. Great CCG.

Also, Anubis....you need to add facepacks/logopacks to your game. Those screenshots are so bland! :p
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:44 am

M.Steiner
Journey (PS4)
Image Image
Image Image
Did another replay of Journey tonight. This must be my 3rd? 4th? time playing it this year (as well as watching Lirik play it one Sub Sunday) lol. Short & sweet but just as beautiful every time.

Got this on my wall:
:)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:22 am

M.Steiner
Uncharted 2: The Nathan Drake Collection [PS4]
Image Image
Image Image
This doesn't release over here until Oct 9th so it was a nice surprise to receive this from Mr. Postman yesterday lol.
Obviously some areas look better than others but to say this was a PS3 title they've done a hella job on the visuals and the increased frame rate and resolution is wonderful. Naughty Dog really are some of the best guys in the business for pushing their games to the limit of the hardware, one can only imagine how good Uncharted 4 is going to look and play when it's been built for PS4 (well, I know we've already seen it in action but you know what I mean lol). Expect some more pics! :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:27 am

Thunderbird
Nice name there:

And for a beast of a different sort (old screenshot, as the date above signifies)...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:43 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
The graphical upgrade job they've done on Uncharted really is amazing. A remaster of a different level in that area!

And I love reminders of your Dance Dance days Tbird haha - really takes me back :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:46 pm

M.Steiner
Hmm. Why am I not remembering Dance Dance? lol.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:24 pm

M.Steiner
4 months later and we're back in TW3 for Hearts of Stone. Feels good :D

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [PC]
Image Image
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:27 pm

M.Steiner
I haven't actually played that much of the expansion yet but here's a few more ;D

Image Image
Image Image
You kinda forget just how stunning TW3 is when you finish it and go off and play other games for a while, only to come back to it a few months later and have it blow you away again as if you didn't know lol. Love this game :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:10 pm

Thunderbird
Huh. Didn't expect this one...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:51 am

Whizbang
Thunderbird wrote:Huh. Didn't expect this one...

One of my favorite levels in D3.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:46 am

Thunderbird
Whizbang wrote:
Thunderbird wrote:Huh. Didn't expect this one...

One of my favorite levels in D3.
I should note that wasn't Whimseyshire... (check the name).

This is what happens when a Bandit Shrine spawns in a corner...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:01 am

M.Steiner
All done with Hearts of Stone now. As such, these will be the last screenshots of TW3 from me for the year. I'll probably take some more in Blood and Wine early next year though so expect some then! ;)

Image Image
Image Image
If you haven't already played TW3 and you appreciate deep & mature storytelling then be sure to pick both that and Hearts of Stone (the first expansion) up before the end of the year. You will not be disappointed :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:59 pm

M.Steiner
Homeworld Remastered Collection [PC]
Image Image
Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:38 am

M.Steiner
Haven't been able to run this with DSR unfortunately (messes around with the mouse cursor, probably the same for their other games too though I didn't try it with those) so having to run this at native 1080p. As such, these aren't downsampled like the rest of my screenies. - Was just saying in the other thread though but I can see this becoming my favourite Telltale game if it continues this way (played eps 1,2 and nearly all of 3 so far). TWD & The Wolf Among Us were both superb so never thought that possible with this, but it quite possibly could be. Will see. Going to wrap ep 3 up today and probably 4 as well, then 5 (the finale) tomorrow if all goes well :)

Tales from the Borderlands [PC]
Image Image
Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:47 am

Anubis
Site Admin
When I replay Life is Strange I need to take some pics of that...weird given it's a game about photography but I was so immersed in the story that I took no screenshots. It's a beautiful game too...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:01 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:When I replay Life is Strange I need to take some pics of that...weird given it's a game about photography but I was so immersed in the story that I took no screenshots. It's a beautiful game too...
Games like this can be really hard to capture imo as (in a way) you're limited to conversation moments or cutscenes like with the Tales shots, which are the type of shots I usually avoid. In other games I like to take them during gameplay segments where I have 100% control of the character & what's on my screen. That way I can properly line my shots up etc as if I was taking a real picture etc. Difficult to do that with these games.

I have, however, just discovered a free cam table for cheat engine - wish I had seen it before lol. Not sure if it still works (sometimes they break when a game is patched and they need updating) but I'll be giving that a try when I come to replay it I think. That may not be for a while though as there are too many new games coming out in Nov (and in my backlog which I haven't played yet) for me to go back and spend time replaying something I've just played. It is a pretty game though and with a free cam you'd be able to get some really nice shots:

Hope it works for you if you come to replay before I do! :)
[Edit: There's this too incase the above doesn't work any more]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:42 pm

M.Steiner
Last shots. Just finished the last episode :(

Tales from the Borderlands [PC]
Image Image
Image Image

I think this game has been kinda overlooked a little this year (it's not surprising considering how strong the lineup has been) but if you've not yet played this or even considered buying it. Get it. This is (imo) Telltale's best work yet.
tweet.jpg
tweet.jpg (32.88 KiB) Viewed 73726 times

My choices for anyone interested:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
My choices screen for episode 3 appears to have bugged (since it only shows 2 of 3 choices for Fiona) but I blamed Vasquez as well.

ImageImage
:D :lol:
:thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:50 pm

Thunderbird
Seems like an ordinary place. Maybe.

I can do more screenshots while going through the game if people are interested (though the game disables the Home Menu during cutscenes, so screenshotting those is gonna be fun :p).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:23 pm

M.Steiner
Is that the new Fatal Frame game I remember you linking a vid to on IRC? (include the game name with your pics if you can ;)). I'd probably give that a try myself if I had a Wii U.

And more screenshots are always welcome! It's great to see others sharing pics and seeing what you guys are playing too. Quite a variety of shots in here already hehe :thumb:

Return to “General Discussions”